To get the best surgical result, I have compiled a set of instructions which must be followed. This serves as a guide, and remember I can always be contacted at any time should you have any queries.
One month before surgery:
- Refrain from smoking/or any forms of nicotine-it impairs healing and causes skin death.
Two weeks before surgery:
- No aspirin, non-steriodals, omega-3, herbal teas or over the counter preparations-they cause bleeding.
The week before surgery:
- Prepare for your post operative period at home.
- Do not remove any hair-this can cause a folliculitis.
- Start using an antibacterial soap.
- Report to DR SINGH should you develop a cold/flu.
- Stock up on food/amenities/books and movies for your recovery time.
- Contact a friend/relative and have them on standby for any basic assistance for your post op period.
The day of surgery:
- Don’t be nervous, breathing always helps.
- If you are having local anaesthetic [awake surgery]-you may eat and drink your usual meals.
- If you are having general anaesthetic[you will be asleep]-do not eat or drink from 6 hours before surgery [children- clear fluids 2 hours before/mothers milk 4 hours before/formula 6 hours before]
- We will inform you as to what chronic meds to be taken.
- No makeup, jewelry, false eyelashes/nails/or wigs. Wear glasses, not contact lenses.
- Wear comfortable loose fitting clothes-button up tops are recommended.
- Come into the hospital-to reception at the instructed time, and you will be allocated to your bed.
- You will be reviewed by my anaesthetist [in the ward, or in theatre receiving area ] whom will inform and consent you.
- I will mark you thereafter and see you before we take you to theatre should you have any more questions.
- It can all be rather daunting, but we are here to make your experience as comfortable and pleasant as possible.